Terence N. Church
Terry Church combines his legal expertise and substantial business experience to advise his business clients in IP strategy, business transactions, and corporate governance issues.
Terry’s extensive corporate, business transaction, and licensing experience includes over fifteen years at major technology companies in Silicon Valley, including PeopleSoft, Cisco Systems, and LSI Logic. Terry served as Vice President and Assistant General Counsel at PeopleSoft through Oracle’s hostile takeover, responsible for 20 professionals and support staff covering licensing, strategic alliances, IP management and mergers, and acquisitions. He led the legal staff in the $1.6 billion acquisition and integration of JD Edwards Corporation, and was heavily involved in the response to Oracle’s hostile take-over bid. He held senior legal positions at Cisco and LSI Logic, responsible for significant license agreements with major customers and partners including Broadcom, Texas Instruments, Canon, Sony, Matsushita, Fujitsu and Samsung, as well as many smaller companies in Europe and Asia. Terry was responsible for standardizing Cisco license terms across business units.
Terry began his career as a litigator with Cooley, Godward, Castro, Huddleson & Tatum in San Francisco (now Cooley LLP), managed litigation throughout the U.S. for McKesson Corporation and clerked for the Chief Judge of the United States District Court in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Areas of Expertise
- Identification, Protection and Monetization of IP Assets.
- Development and Licensing agreements for Software and Semiconductor Technology Companies.
- Copyright and Trademark Counseling and registration.
- Technology Contract Strategy, Negotiation and Drafting.
- Corporate and Entity Formation and Governance.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
Types of Matters:
- Software and Technology Licenses
- Manufacturing Agreements
- Distribution Agreements
- Hosting and SaaS Agreements, SLAs.
- Advised technology company management on corporate compliance issues, including FCPA, Sarbanes-Oxley, and privacy protection in US and Europe.
- Ran IP and technology transaction legal group at a publicly traded software company.
- Led legal team in negotiating $1.7 billion acquisition of publicly traded company by major software company and managed the resulting legal integration, including consolidation of subsidiaries worldwide.
- Served on PeopleSoft’s initial response team managing response to Oracle’s hostile tender offer.
- Negotiated international technology licensing deals against major international companies, including Sony, Canon, and NEC.
- Managed and negotiated international transactions and strategic deals with partners in many countries, including Japan, China, India, England, Italy, France, Germany, Cayman Islands, and Canada.
- Developed and negotiated international connection and transportation contracts with major oil & gas and power companies worldwide.
San Ramon Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors 2009 – 2011, Chairman 2010.
Association of Corporate Counsel, Former Chapter President, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
Silicon Valley Trusted Advisor Group
JD., with honors, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
B.A., Psychology and English, Whitman College